Sunday, March 13, 2022

Sprout and Autism

Image from 2018

Madeline Fretz - You know me, but one thing you don't know about me is that I'm an autistic girl, which may explain why I love little kids' shows. I'll admit, I've loved little kids' shows ever since I was a toddler, but having autism may be the reason why I'm a big fan even to this day. Autism is amazing, it means you see the world differently.


Having autism also means you behave differently. I'm good-mannered, but, like Caillou, I sometimes throw tantrums and cry like a little kid, which is probably why, over the years, I've used chewy necklaces and went to speech and occupational therapy classes (and had some at my own house) (as for the former, I bite my fingers a lot, so that could be why). In addition, we were not alone, as several children's shows, including those I like, have introduced characters with autism. With characters like these, kids like me were represented.


As I said, like other people I know, I'm autistic and I love kids' shows, which could be the reason why I stay inside and spend a lot of time on screens (I'm more of an indoors person, though I usually go outside), which may lead to lack of sunlight. Sprout is something I've loved ever since I was little ... or have I? As you probably know, I had "Sproutophobia" as a "Sproutlet" - I was afraid of whenever The Sunny Side Up Show had guest appearances from characters, but calmed down and overcame my fears as I got older.

I have four of the same picture on each wall in my room, and it's THIS ONE. No, seriously!

Sprout was hugely impactful on children with special needs, including those like me on the autism spectrum. The hosts made the children feel safe, comfortable in a troublesome world, and, like Mr. Rogers, were very gentle and understood their viewers, treating them like real people. Serenity.

In this post, you'll find out why Sprout was a place for kids with autism. Read on!

The Sunny Side Up Show was like any other children's show, except it was live, unscripted, and the hosts never talked down to kids. Unlike Play School, the hosts of The Sunny Side Up Show behaved like real people rather than actors. They were sweet, calm, and made kids feel welcome in their own little world. Sunny was also a place where kids could learn about a different educational topic each week and could get to send in fun stuff related to the week's theme. I'd have to say, very autism-like.

The Good Night Show was like The Sunny Side Up Show (I even made a piece about which one of the two was better), except it was slower, calmer, and, like most of Sprout's other programming, pre-recorded. It was probably better for me since I'm a calm girl most of the time. Like Sunny, it was also a place where children could learn about a different topic through various fun activities and segments of their favorite shows - both old and new. The scenarios between Nina and Star were a bit little kid-like. Star asks Nina to stay up late, the two engage in banter for the rest of the night, and Star finally goes to bed. When I was in preschool, I went to bed around the same time, slept through the whole night, and probably got up at different times.

Even though kids watched The Good Night Show, it did not put them to bed. A Campaign for a Commercial Free Childhood study in early 2009 showed that the show kept kids awake. Sandy Wax, president of Sprout at the time, explained that The Good Night Show, which launched when Sprout did in 2005, fulfilled the social function of reminding "Grown-Up Sprouts" that it was time to put their Sproutlets to bed after a busy day, which is probably why they had that Nina/Star banter. That study may have led to two things - 1. The Good Night Show was better off watching at daytime. 2. The Sunny Side Up Show was probably better for kids.

Nina also understood the viewers and treated them like they were actually there. Again, hugely impactful on the autism spectrum.

The Sprout Sharing Show. The hosts on the block were all puppets, their mouths didn't move (ala Yo Gabba Gabba!), and their voices were kind of annoying. Despite all these, I kind of enjoyed the block, even if I may not have watched it as a Sproutlet. The Sharing Show was like a talent show in a way, as the characters showed off their talents and sang songs, and viewers were encouraged to send in videos of them showing off their talents like swimming or ballet dancing. Characters' family members often appeared to encourage Grown-Up Sprouts to join in the fun. Autistic kids like me love to draw, and one of the key parts of The Sprout Sharing Show was that Sproutlets were encouraged to send in their drawings and see them on TV as animated shorts. This I would've loved, as you know two things about me. 1. I love to draw. 2. I sent in content to Sprout via both SproutOnline.com and the Send to Sprout app, including videos. This was around the time The Sharing Show dissolved, so I never got to send videos or artwork in to Patty, Ricky, and Curtis, though I still sent in videos to Sprout, hoping to someday make a guest appearance on The Sunny Side Up Show. The closest I ever came was this.

Aside from show segments of course, The Let's Go Show had songs, crafts, recipes, planting seeds, and kid-friendly science experiments. Kids with autism love music, and The Let's Go Show was full of fun songs to sing, dance, and clap along to. As a foodie myself, boy were the recipes Miles and Banjo made, which were also available on SproutOnline.com, made for me! Aside from those, I don't think they had any other autism-friendly features.


The programming. While both Sesame Street and Caillou had autistic characters, only two Sprout shows were aimed at autistic kids or had characters on the autism spectrum. Bounce, which aired on Sprout as part of Musical Mornings with Coo, was aimed at children on the autism spectrum, and thus was also known as Spectrum Connections. Pablo, which came from the UK's CBeebies and aired on the Sprout block on Universal Kids, had a titular character with autism who would draw his own adventures, and the cast was entirely autistic. Pablo was the final show to air under the Sprout name.

Not only that, but I, for one, believe Chica has autism. She only speaks through squeaks, and I believe her way of communicating is echolalia, an unsolicited repetition of vocalizations made by another person. Chica may have selective mutism and echolalia, she plays autism-like games, and interacts with soft-spoken people, so she could have autism, thus making her a character I can really relate to.

It may not be autism acceptance month, but I just wanted to let you know I have autism. Sprout was full of amazing, autism-approved programming. I, as well as other kids, was represented. Isn't that the most amazing thing?

Click here to see amazing in all children on the Parents and Kids Share Together forum!

2 comments:

  1. Wow Madeline, it's awesome getting to know about this. I also sometimes throw tantrums and I'm still obsessed with LazyTown. I didn't know I had autism! I need help and my parents SUCK at helping me lol.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nice to hear that, Swaggy. My parents are great at helping me. They calm me down when I'm upset and mind that I'm a fourteen year old who likes little kids' shows.

      Delete

Big news!

Madeline Fretz - Hi, Sproutlets. It's me, Maddie. Today, I have some news - since 2020, this site has been a part of Blogger/Blogspot. ...