Monday, March 21, 2022

Nostalgic Field Trip

 

Madeline Fretz - I know this post isn't Sprout-related, but this is one of the best things that's ever happened to teenage me, and felt impossible not to write about here, on a Sprout blog. Enjoy!

Once we moved in 2018, I've spent most of my life depressed. I seemed to miss the good old days and still do. In fact, my original song "2007," which I wrote and sung WITHOUT music (like most of my songs) is about the amazing things that happened that year and how I long to revisit them. Nowadays, I'm in high school, have classes with mean teachers, and seem to escape from or skip them almost every day. As I said earlier, I spend my depressing life taking my mind to my memories.

Sometimes I wish to go to my old elementary school or my old house. In fact, today, I emailed my teachers about my "wish trip." Just tonight, Mom asked if I wanted to go to Superstars Pizza and the old Mary Munford playground before picking up my sister and her friend from ballet. Who was I to say no? Of course I would! I couldn't wait, and I started a vlog. I abandoned and eventually deleted the vlog since I didn't have enough storage, errors occured when the video was loading. and the video had me playing on the old playground to "We Built This City." If I did make it,  I would post it on Vimeo and Dailymotion (like my Baby Einstein "Grinch Night" and "Thriller" music videos) due to copyright strikes and then on YouTube without the music. 

On the way to Superstars, I told my Mom that I wanted to make a movie about my old friends with now-retired teacher Mr. Bennett - about us getting back together and trying to save the school. She said some of them would not to get back together, and that I should come up with an original plot, so I had a brief meltdown, and eventually calmed down, took deep breaths, and drank water. A great ending to a great day shouldn't start off like this! Unfortunately, Superstars was closed (probably for the night?), so we decided to do the next best thing and go to Gelati Celesti. On the last day of third grade, the power went out, so instead of going to school, we went there, and my old friends Betsy (RIP) and Tillie(sp?) were there. I had birthday cake ice cream, and it was so good, but I eventually threw it away because I didn't feel like eating it anymore.


After ice cream, we went to Libby's to buy a few water bottles, and then it was off to nostalgia! Getting out of the car and getting some fresh air brought back so many memories! I played on the old playgrounds for a little while, made my video that never was (see above), and Mom caught up with some old friends. I was hoping to go inside the building AND my old house, but maybe we'll go there another day. There was even a "Welcome Back" sign ... were they expecting me or something?! I took my picture in front of the school, and then we were off to Richmond Ballet.

It was a great day, and the best thing to ever happen since that video. It was like I was a recipient of Make-a-Wish, except I didn't have cancer. Life can be depressing, but great things can happen at times, and this was one of them. It's safe to say that I've had the time of my life!

The good old days

Click here to become a little kid again on the Parents and Kids Share Together forum!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Big news!

Madeline Fretz - Hi, Sproutlets. It's me, Maddie. Today, I have some news - since 2020, this site has been a part of Blogger/Blogspot. ...